Regardless of whether people live in a city or a village, many use the Russian stove at home, in the country and in the baths. The stove heated with wood and coal gives warmth, serves for cooking, thanks to the decorated tiles and artistic painting, it is a decoration of any home. Before the heating season, it is advisable to whitewash the stove to clean it of dirt and give it a fresh look.
How to properly prepare the oven for whitewashing
There are various ways to whitewash the surface of the stove, which are done by hand. In practice, chalk, lime, spacril, and tooth powder are used for the stove. Which method the owner wants to choose depends only on personal preference. Each of the coloring options is suitable if you mix the components correctly, observing the proportions.
Do not use a water-based solution of purchased paint, since as the hearth heats up, fumes that are harmful to human health will form.
Before whitening the stove, you must wear protective clothing, rubber work gloves, perform preparatory work in the form of cleaning and plastering the surface, and grout the brick. It is important to prepare the place of work:
- cover the floor and furniture with plastic wrap;
- clean the surface of the hearth from debris and dust;
- grout the masonry with clay, cement or asbestos, wetting the surface with water.
It is necessary to whitewash the stove only after plastering in order to avoid smoke from entering through the cracks into the room and for a good appearance. To prevent the solution from cracking, holding on for a long time and not staining things, the home craftsman must adhere to certain rules:
- Inspect the stove surface, remove old whitewash, soot, grease stains and cracked plaster, to apply a fresh layer of a new heat-resistant mixture. Soot stains can be removed with a metal brush or scrubber. In this case, the tool must be moved carefully so as not to make additional cracks. Fat stains will be thoroughly washed off with soda ash.
- If the old whitewash is clean and in good condition, it does not need to be removed. It is enough to wipe it with a damp cloth to remove dust. Wetting the surface is useful for better application of the plaster.
- The layer of plaster should not be thick. You need to apply the composition with a spatula or brush so that there are no irregularities. Additionally wet the surface with water.
- Heat the oven several times to dry the plaster. Many craftsmen recommend not to heat the surface too much, especially on the 1st day of drying. Gradual drying will set the grout in place and prevent cracking.
- Then you can whitewash the oven.
The plaster is sold ready-made. It is mixed with water and used. You can purchase a heat-resistant mixture, for example, "Emelya". The best homemade refractory stove putty: clay, sand, cement, lime (1: 1: 1: 1). The ingredients are thoroughly mixed with water and used.
Compliance with the tips for preparing the surface of the stove and the rules for applying whitewash contributes to long-term operation without frequent staining.
Whitewashing solutions recipes
You can quickly whitewash the stove in a traditional way or in a modern way. The main thing is that the applied paint should lie evenly, it was impossible to accidentally get dirty on it.Lime solution, chalk and white powder for teeth are considered traditional means for whitening the oven. The modern method includes a mass in the form of a paste - spacril. You can find it in many repair shops.
Experienced stoves praise the product and note that it does not fade, it serves for a long time and does not stain things. Spacril for whitewashing the stove is very easy to prepare: it is diluted with water (2: 1). On the packaging of the product it is written how to knead the mass without lumps correctly.
Before you start whitening, it is advisable to heat the stove in the house a little - two hours will be enough. So l
the coloring agent will fit better.
To whitewash the stove, precautions must be taken to avoid contact of the solution with exposed parts of the body and eyes. It is better to wear long rubber gloves on your hands. You need to work slowly and without making sudden movements.
Lime burns are a rather unpleasant phenomenon. But despite the danger, lime is considered a good whitewash and has been used in everyday life for many decades. Lime stains and disinfects the stove from fungi, harmful microorganisms and insects. The following solution recipes are used:
- Lime powder is mixed with water and edible salt (35-40 g). Salt gives strength and prevents surface cracking. After staining, it is recommended to light the oven to dry.
- Lime, chalk powder and carpentry glue are mixed with water and then bleached. 100 g of glue is enough.
To increase the durability of the coating, some masters recommend adding Oksol drying oil (2 tsp) to the lime solution.
Chalk based whitewash
A good effect is obtained when painting with an inexpensive natural material - chalk, which creates a rich color on the surface. The disadvantage of this method is considered to be white marks on hands and clothes with each touch. There are several recipes for chalk solutions. Most Popular:
- Dilute chalk with water (2: 1), stir and apply immediately.
- Take dry chalk powder, water or skim milk. Stir the mixture until smooth, add natural grated heated soap and 100 g of wood glue.
- The composition of chalk with milk is considered old. Proportion of ingredients: two parts milk and one part chalk.
Whitewashing the stove with a chalk solution is cheap and quick, but this method is often streaky and requires several coats.
The chalk turns gray when the liquid is added. When the hearth dries up, it will turn snow white. Up to 50 ml of blue can be added to the chalk mixture, which will prevent yellowing.
Tooth powder solution
This tool makes the surface white for a long time, does not stain things, you can heat the hearth on the same day. To whiten a Russian stove with this tool, you will need 4 packs of tooth powder, 1 tbsp. milk and 4 chicken proteins. The components are thoroughly mixed and left to brew for 20 minutes, so that the consistency resembles oil paint. Then the necessary work is carried out. If the mixture is not enough, make a new portion.
This method is used for a heated surface - so the ingredients, in addition to coloring, will give strength. The method promotes fast drying, even and smooth surface.
How to whitewash a stove without streaks and cracks
It is possible to whitewash the stove in the country or in the house without streaks and cracks, if you mix the plaster and the coloring solution correctly, observe the proportions and consistency. Consider the following points:
- The mixture should not stain clothes. After drying, you need to touch the oven. If there are no traces of whitewashing, then everything was done correctly. If it gets dirty, it is better to re-whiten it.
- The whitewash must withstand a high heating temperature. At the end of the work, the stove is heated. Then they make sure that the coloring solution does not turn yellow, darken, and does not give stains.If deficiencies are identified, the work needs to be redone.
- You can whitewash the stove with rollers, brushes, spray gun. The brushes are pre-soaked in water. You can whitewash in two directions - up and down. This is how uniformity is achieved. Repeat the staining if desired.
- Best of all, the solution lies on a cooled surface moistened with water.
Masters recommend working with a natural swing brush. In this case, movements on the surface must be carried out confidently. When working with this method, do not wait for the applied layer to dry. Re-staining with a second layer is carried out immediately.
DIY art painting
If desired, the oven can be decorated with a pattern. Folk motives will add individuality to the hearth. Artistic painting is easy to perform. Coloring composition:
- Dilute the multi-colored gouache with water.
- Add 1-2 raw egg yolks to the mixture.
- Stir well until smooth.
- Use as directed within 12 hours.
The drawing can be applied with a painting brush or a sponge. The use of stencils is allowed. The painting depends on personal imagination. It is better for beginners to use simple ornaments.
In addition to the egg coloring mixture, the remaining whitewash is used - gouache is added to the solution. High temperature oil paint can be used.
All oven work is best done before autumn. Cast iron parts (oven, doors) are best treated with fire retardant or silicon organic enamels. This will protect them from corrosion.